Over
the last nine months we have traveled to the east, north, to the south, back
west, back east, to the south again, then northwest and now southeast once
again. With any trip there are
many things that need to happen to make each leg of the journey fun and as care
free as possible. Now for most
people who know me planning is not a strong point of mine, so I knew from the
beginning this was something I would really have to work on. Planner or not, the journey across the
country was going to happen, there would be times where the plan would be executed
just as we worked out and times where we would just have to go with the flow.
One way or another we were determined to enjoy the madness, I mean, enjoy
making memories!
As our journey began we had a general
idea on where we wanted to go, what we would see along the way and when we
would go. We also knew that along
the way Graham would have to work and we would need to locate the family to an
area where we had friends. Graham knew that he was not to leave us at Jim Bob's
Trailer Park in Podunk, Arkansas for any reason. (For all my Arkansas friends I mean nothing by this, and I'm
sure I will love your state when we make it through.) Now, after traveling
around for a while, as long as Jim Bobs has hook ups to include, a dumping area
I will take it.
In
the initial planning process I had these grand ideas that we would be able to
just leisurely go from spot to spot stopping at all the road side attractions
like, Car Hedge, or South of the Border, Wall Drug, and while in the car we
would be singing, "She'll Be Coming Round the Mountain, The Bean Song, or
playing games such as, I'm going on vacation and I'm bringing”, or the license
plate game. Then, I would give the
kids their schoolwork for the day and they would smile cheerfully at me and
just do their work. I would
answer questions about what we have seen or what they are working on and all
would be just dandy. Well, that
imaginary bubble was popped just 200 miles after we pulled out of my parent’s driveway
in Nevada. On our 2 1/2 hour drive
the kids asked are we there yet a gazillion times, said, "I'm bored more
times then I can count, and already were making rules about whose side is whose
on the couch and what lines can or cannot be crossed. As far as the singing, that is always a go and playing
games, always a hit. Whew! I won't even mention the school work,
if you have kids you can just imagine how well it went, if you don't well let's
just say we may have had a small outburst here or there.
Execution
and flexibility have become the key to any plan we make. The execution part
comes quite easy at times as all we have to do is get on the road and, check, plan
has been executed! Flexibility,
however, gets a little trickier for me.
Let me give you an example of flexibility from our trip. The second leg
of our journey started in February in California. The plan was to go south for obvious reasons, the weather,
and also get to Florida by April for Graham to attend a month long class for
his job. We get to Florida and
while there we find out that he is not going to the class in April and his job
in May has been canceled as well. So after much discussion we decide that it is
best for us to go see some wonderful friends in Montgomery while he goes back
to Hawaii to work, and really, get some money.
Now,
as I type this, it is mid July and we are on our way to Florida (for Graham's
class) by way of South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana,
Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, and finally
Florida. We have ten days and
things have been planned. Do I
think the plan will change? There
is no doubt! Will we have to forgo
stopping at the "Welcome to (insert name of state here) sign for a
picture? Probably! Will the kids
know any difference? Nope! Will they have a great time no matter
what we see? For sure! (Well depending on the kid, the time
of day and the state of the moon.)
With
all these changes in the plans, I discovered my need for some sort of
stability. And since we didn't
have a house, we were in a different area every couple days, we didn't have a
church family, there were no friends houses to walk down to and talk with while
the kids played, all the change of plans was hard for me to wrap my mind
around. After many discussions
with Graham and time in prayer God showed me something. What if tomorrow He asked us to go
serve Him in another country, minister to those in need, give up everything and
live in a hut with a dirt floor?
Would I go stomping and kicking and have a bad attitude the whole time,
or would I get myself together and rely on him to fill me with His peace, joy,
goodness, kindness, and self-control? He reminded me that this is what He has
called us to for now. Now is the time! And in this
I need to grab onto the joy that only He can give. And when plans change, my
first reaction needs to be to pray and ask Him what He has in store for us
today. I love the passage in
Mathew where Jesus is getting ready to send out his disciples. He tells them, "Don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself." Before that He goes into more detail. "Don't worry about what you will eat, or where you will live, or what you will wear. " So fitting for this season of life. Think about today, live for today. Another verse that often comes to mind is Jeremiah 29:11, "For
I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not
to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". My prayer is that we would have ears to listen to Him as He leads us and shows us where our next stop needs to be. That way anywhere we go we know it is
another opportunity that He has brought our way to tell others of the greatness
of our God.
No comments:
Post a Comment